Aboutt this blog

This blog is to chronicle my lessons in Journalism II. All posts are tagged and sorted.

Wednesday 22 May 2013

Distance Education

Throwing my back out hasn't prevented me from attending class, even if I can't leave my house. I've been skyping in to participate. The sound isn't so great for hearing the rest of the class, but I can hear the professor perfectly.

It has made me a bit self-conscious, because I can see myself in the little video in the corner. So far I've noticed my chin seems to be inflating like a bullfrog attracting a mate AND my hairline is uneven. Then I get distracted by how many funny faces I can make.

I am a terrible student.

The next day I skyped in, I actually got to be useful and set up a ustream channel to show how easy it was for someone to set up their own internet television channel. From account creation to broadcasting, it took five minutes and most of that was waiting for the confirmation email to come to my email account.

I did the trick again with my ipod. In fact, everything we've done in this class except anything heavily flash-based, I could have done on my ipod, a tiny device as small as my hand. And my hand is tiny.

Like the professor said: We're our own press on the internet. We can present any way we want. The only thing we don't have automatically is an audience.

Try out making your own channel over at Ustream (or one of its many competitors).

No comments:

Post a Comment