Aboutt this blog

This blog is to chronicle my lessons in Journalism II. All posts are tagged and sorted.

Thursday 16 May 2013

Lots of discussion of terrorism-related issues

A youtube video contrasting Dixie Chicks and Pussy Riot was the cornerstone of journalistic slant today.

Just so you know, we’re on the good side with y’all. We do not want this war, this violence, and we’re ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas

The Dixie Chicks were vilified for saying that in the Bush administration, but years later Pussy Riot has wide western support for their own protests. It was our object lesson in Worthy and Unworthy victims. The Unworthy were the Dixie Chicks who insulted president Bush, while the Worthy were Pussy Riot, who insulted the untrustworthy Russian government.

Of course, according to the American media, Bush was a Worthy victim, while Obama is an Unworthy victi. I see regular death threats to Obama from public sources that seem to see no consequences:

Nugent, who last April said, "If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will be either be dead or in jail by this time next year," and in 2007 stated, "Obama, he's a piece of s**t. I told him to suck on my machine gun. Hey Hillary, you might want to ride one of these into the sunset, you worthless b***h," (Source)
Nugent saw no jail time, no media demonizing, no wide-scale boycotting, and was even invited by a Republican politician to sit in on Obama's state of the union address.

I like Obama a lot more than Bush, to explain my bias, although I'd like him a lot more if he wasn't, you know, droning people to hell, but it's still an interesting contrast.

2 comments:

  1. WOW, I somehow missed that (probably due to my unofficial, but for-my-sanity boycott of mainstream news).

    Nugent is widely considered to be a raging butthole. I agree with this opinion, since he tends to make asinine comments like that one.

    Obama is agreeably better than Bush... but that really is saying VERY little. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah. I was googling him to get the quote and kept coming across all sorts of horrible stuff, like him having a 17 year old girlfriend.

      Which makes the fact he goes unscathed all the worse, really.

      Delete