Aboutt this blog

This blog is to chronicle my lessons in Journalism II. All posts are tagged and sorted.

Sunday 26 May 2013

Interview with an assault victim

The creator of the facebook page 'I was assaulted by the Vancouver Police' made an appearance via the internet in our class last friday.

I wasn't 'present', as they say, as I was residing in a classmate's computer like a skype sprite, but because I was tethered in I could participate and listen just like a student physically present.

It got me thinking about how the internet has been good for bringing crimes against people to light. From being able to shed light on police abuse, it also keeps other injustices from being swept under the carpet, like the case of Kiera Wilmot who was expelled and charged with a felony for a science experiment gone wrong, which burned up the internet. The charges were dropped, and she and her twin sister are getting a trip to space camp thanks to a NASA scientist. But it's not really a happy ending (Kiera Wilmot tells us what happened in her own words), because she's still expelled and is attending an expulsion school where she is unable to take the classes she once had the opportunity for, and the challenges she once enjoyed.

It's a lot harder to go unheard now, thanks to the internet. This goes for victims and for perpetrators alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment